Wednesday, September 5, 2012

My love : a pet bird

Once, I had a friend who was very upset after breaking up with his girlfriend of many years.  He came to talk to me and I told him that love cannot be stored in a  glass or plastic container and if you hold on love to tight , it will just suffocate and die.  The only thing we can do is to nourished  and cherish it  and let it determine whether it will grow or stay around with you.  If we hold it by force, it will only bring us unhappiness.

To illustrate this advise,  I told him a story.

Once, I had a bird as a pet .  I lock it up in the cage  and talk to it everyday.  I feed, nourished  and express my love for it.  I also try singing to it. Initially, she love to play with me by singing back to me.

As time goes by,  we get very close and could hardly live without each other.  The singing to and flow was passionate and wonderfully.

After a longer while, the love matures and my pet bird start to knock on the cage doors as if  wanting to come out to see the world.  I ignored its pleading and turn a blind eye to it.

She gets more and more restless and keep knocking on the cage door stronger and stronger. She is starting to hurt herself.  I know I have to make a decision either I let her out or she will die by hurting herself.

One fine day,  I open the door and let her out.   She was flying around the cage and around me and was very happy with her new found freedom.  Later, she starts to fly further and further away  but she will return on the same day.

After a few attempts, she starts to come back the next day . I am tolerating her wild freedom but hope that she will exhaust herself  and will return to her cage. My wish was futile.   The bird starts to fly further and comes back only after one week and later one month  and later once a year.   I know  she have changed. She may have found a new love  somewhere or she is seeking the truth herself.

I can no more own the love but only keep the hope that she will realized one day , how I love her.  Love is a miracle , it happens when it is the time and it also ends when the time comes.  Everyday, we live with the hope and love and wish that our pet bird will appreciated our love  and think of us some day.

Since , the last she flew off,  I am still waiting for her to return.

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment