Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Little Nyonya outlet, Gurney Plaza



On Sunday, my wife and I stumble into  a nyonya outlet at Gurney Plaza during dinner time.  We were supposed to eat our dinner at Nostalgia  but  my wife took more time than usual for her shopping and it was getting a bit late so we decide to eat at the food court at the basement level.

There was so much things to eat at the food court which is lined with many small restaurants selling a large variety of food from Japanese, Thai, Korean, Hongk Kong, Taiwaness, etc. As we stroll along , we saw one new outlet, it was a local nyonya food outlet.  What catches my eye was the big curry fish head on the poster.  It resembles my favorite curry fish head stall at Juru.  I pulled my wife in and we settle for a fish head curry. 

Once inside the outlet, we came to know that the outlet was a franchise ran by a famous local chef , Ah Keat , who run a nyonya food programme  in the AFC channel (703).  I could recognize his face on the poster.  There was a wide selection of food from kapitan chicken, satay,  fried kangkung, assam prawns, sambal , etc . Everything nyonya.

For some readers who do not know Baba and Nyonya , these people are the Chinese people who have adopted the Malay life style and culture. They speak Bahasa Malaysia and wear the traditional Malay costumes. Their daily diet is chilli, chilli and chilli . Spicy and hot stuff.

Surprisingly, the curry fish head was very good , comparable the stall in Juru because while eating the curry , I started to sweat because of the strong spice and chilli. We ordered a vegetable dish to go with it and it was sufficient for both of us.  it is highly recommendable.

Besides us , there was a couple  from Hong Kong and they ordered so much food  and they seem to enjoy it. If we have more people , I think I would want to try out as many dishes as possible and have a good crusine experience.

Who is watching their weight ?  Not me.  I live to eat and I enjoyed eating . That is life.

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment