Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Dinner at suffolk house, Penang



I was invited to a dinner at the Suffolk  House in Penang and I have read about the House and it was declared a heritage site and it was renovated recently after many years in ruin.  It was a mansion which was build by Sir Francis Light's time when he was in Penang. A few hundred years ago.

I forgot to bring the map but I know it was located near to MBS ( Methodist Boys School) and I drove my car near to the school and took a turn to the right after the school but it was a dead end. I called a colleague and he told me that it was near the Penang Japanese Association. I took a U-turn and swing the car towards the direction and took the first turn after the traffic light in front of the Masjid Negeri towards Dato Kramat Road. It was a small lane and as I drove in, I could see many cars parked in a big open field. It was already dark at 7.30 pm by now and I drove my car towards the front and I saw the mansion. I packed my car in small slot between two cars in front of the gate. Luckily, the guard did not chase me out.

I took the dinner which was hosted by a prominent bank is renting the mansion for the diiner but I realized that the mansion have converted into a restaurant . It looks new and the restaurant serves western fine dinnings. Many of the bank's guest have arrived and each guest was given a destinated seat. The restaurant looks simple and most of the building have maintain its original structure as required by the heritage ruling.  There was no landscaping in the garden except a big and wide lawn.

The food was qutie good and it was served in a set.  The normal bread and butter, chicken and vegetable , a piece of pork  and ice cream as a dessert. The wine was free flowing and the setting was good. If I have the time, I would  come here for dinner again and get to know the menu and the food.

I do not know the price of the set dinner as I have not paid for the food. But, I think it will be quite pricey. I want to tell my readers is that it will be difficult to find the place but you need to drive very slowly and take the right turn before the MBS school when you can caming from Green Lane.

The place give the impression of dining in a British mansion and you can feel the elegancy of the place and fine dining style.  It is an experience and it will be worth it to live through time and space.

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment