Sunday, May 6, 2012

Dinner at Wasabe, Dhaka

Hi! , I am in Dhaka  today and just finished my dinner at Wasabe with a customer and two of my colleague.  I came by the TG flight from Penang to Bangkok and to Dhaka.  I started off from Penang at 8am and reach Dhaka at 3pm Malaysian time.  There was a slight delay in Bangkok . A total of 8 hours of travelling.  It was a  public holiday in Dhaka celebrating a local religious holiday.

I took a nap in the afternoon and went for dinner at 6.30 pm local time and it was 8.30 pm Malaysian time. Wasabe is a Japanese teppanyaki restaurant . We had seafood set  and it serves with scallops, prawns, vegetables, chcken and beef. It was my 8th time to have lunch or dinner at this restaurant. I think it is one of the best restaurant in Dhaka. The chefs are Thai expats from Bangkok and they are quite an expert in serving this type of food. One word of caution, it is quite pricey as it cost about US$350 for 4 paxs. This is about 7 or 8 times the price of  the local food served in the local restaurants.

My customer , IS told us the standard of living is improving . Majority of the people have one meal aday in the pst and now they have about three meals a day. This situation indicates that the life in Bangladesh is getting better each day. The middle class population is also increasing rapidly and this factor is very important for the stability of the current day Government  and the economy.  I fully agree that Bangladesh have improved very much since my association with the country about 25 years ago.

The US secretary of state , Hillary Clinton is also in Bangladesh today over the issue of a missing opposition leader but my customer IS told me that t he US is worried that Bangladesh is to close to China and  the real mission is to get Bangladesh  to on their sides. Politics is more than meet the eyes.

My customer IS told us that there were news  about Bersih 3 on the 28th of April 2012 and they don't understand why the Police attack the protestors. In Bangladesh, it is almost a daily affair for the people to demostrate or protest. People have the right to be heard and  their opnion is heard thorugh demostrations and protest. It was very strange to the Bangladesh people why the Government or Police do such illogical things.

The dinner ended with a yoget ice cream and its taste was excellent. It s amazing that we just had a US$350 dinner whereas the take home pay of an average worker is only US$50 per month. It is an irony where the rich gets richer and the poorer is still struggling to make their life better.  This is really an unfair and imperfect world.

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment