Sunday, October 14, 2012

Flogging a dead horse

It was raining heavily this morning and there was a massive traffic jam leading out of my house.  Our usual route was jam packed and the queue was very long.  I waited for 10 minutes and I asked my wife whether we should try another route. She replied " up to you ", so immediately , I make a U- turn and chose another route to get out of our housing estate.

I hit a traffic jam not long after the U-turn. My wife look up and told me " you see, this route is also jammed".  I have no choice so I just tag along with the jam and it took awhile before I managed to reach the main road . It took me about 45 minutes to reach the spot which I could have reached if I have follow my normal route.

My wife told me this "  There is no difference from our normal route.  We could have stick to our usual and we could even reach this spot faster.  You have done so much travelling but the end result is the same or even worst".  I replied that from hind sight, we are always correct . Our imagination is always very creative and it is in our favor.

After all grumbling , I told her that the horse is already dead and they is not point arguing over the matter.  All the arguing will only be futile and make us more frustrated and angry.  We are already late for work  and no amount of arguing will reverse the result.  LIke when a horse is dead, no amount of flogging will make her live again.  It is a silly exercise to argue and proof who is right or wrong.

From the moment, the decision to a make a U-turn, there is already a decision and there should be no regrets. If we still to our normal route, we will always think that we could have reach earlier but this is not a proven fact.  We could be slower or we could be still in the jam. How can we be sure that we can reach at the same time to the spot or latter ?  Anything which is based on perception or wishful thinking is very subjective and no amount of arguing could settle the matter.

We should always live by our decision and only adjust it based on facts and not hearsay, rumour or imagination which is subjective .

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment