Sunday, October 14, 2012

Eat to live - my sister's experience

It is a very difficult choice : eat to live  according to a diet and  live longer or live to eat and have a happy life. It is especially true when a person is sick. This happens to my 2nd sister.

Recently, she had a mild stroke  and she has recovered most of her ability from the stroke but Doctorput her on a strict diet. Practically, no salt, no sugar and no oil. After about a week, she told me that her taste have gone flat and she is suffering as she likes to eat and she is a " live to eat" person.

Since her stroke, she has been bed ridden for a week in the Hospital and she was discharged a few days ago and she has stayed in her house since then.  My niece has been  taking care of her and she is following the Doctor's order strictly regarding  her diet. I presumably she is a good nurse and wanted my sister to remain healthy. I appreciated her actions and her thoughts.
Today, I called my sister to take her out for a walk  as she has not got the chance to go out of the house and she has been watched like a "lab rat " by my niece.  Of course, my niece mend good but I feel that since my sister have regain most of her ability , she should go back to her normal life.  For this suggestion, I got into trouble with my wife and my niece and they told me not spoilt her diet and her health. Who is trying to spoilt her diet?  I was only trying to take her out for a walk in the Mall together with my daughter M.  She needs a change in the environment since she has been holed up at the Hospital.  I think we should give her back some life and I don't want to treat her as a terminally ill person although there is a risk of a second stroke.

My opinion is that there is  no point taking life out of a life and keeping the life for just living.  There is a saying " it is not how longer we live but rather how well we  live our life".  We should do whatever we want to do and  listen to our heart.  Living like a "lab rat" is not the way unless it is inevitable.  Live and be happy while we can and lets fate lead us.

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment