Tuesday, July 10, 2012

My uneasy mind

Yesterday was a very tough day at work. It was not due to work per se but an incident that upset me in a quiet way. I have been working on this matter for  a few months now and it is near agreement and I can apply this programme to the rest of my colleagues.  Yes, it is a people related issue and these colleagues have been my friends for many years. The 6programme is to get my colleagues to work in a distant land.

All my colleagues have been working for more than 30 years with my Company and some of them have reached the age of  60 and for some they have enough savings for their retirement age. To persuade them to work in a distant land at this age is a very difficult task. They can easily resign but some of them is considering doing it for the Company which we have served for many years.  It  is like repaying the Company for the many years of employment and good life. Yet, to get them be seconded to a distant land, the remuneration package must be good.

We have to make them live abd feek kke a king in that distant land  in order to compensate for their loyalty and support. But, at the same time, it must not be too much a financial burden on the mother Company.  This balance is not easy to strike and it involves a lot of horse trading before a deal is strike.  It is very important that the deal is a win-win situation so that nobody feel cheated and everyone go often feeling happy.

Today[s task was to get a former school mate who have been working with me to sign the contract. We have met and discussed so many times and each time, there is some clause in the contract which needs to be re-defined or revised. The deal really took a lot of time and effort and it can affect us mentally especially if the negotiation end in a stalemate. There is a lot of emotions involved especially my friend told me htat there is a lot of hardship to his family and we have to make the agreement more accomodating. Each time, my heart bleed when he told me this point but what I can say is that I know the situation but there are  limits to the benefits.  We cannot keep on stretching the benefits and there must be a stop somewhere.

The hard part is the existence of sentiments and emotions. We are human beings and there are alot of feelings involved in this task. It is not a negotiation between two persons but it involves my colleague's family members , near and far and also our Company and the members of the team working in the distant land.

Such kind of negotiation can affect the core of our soul quietly and silently. We need to be aware of the stregss and the depression arising within our body and we have to acknowledged it  and try to  de-stress or de-pressurized it. Otherwise, it will affect our mood and our life in general.  Such stress can build up a depression or frustration in our body and mind.  It maybe good to meditate on it and make our body aware of such stress and minimized the shocks to the body.

Yes, it is a very difficult task but it has to be done. If it is not done by me, it will be done by another person . There is a need for a solution and we cannot avoid it. The show must go on.

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment