Sunday, August 12, 2012

Koay Teow T'ng at Kampung Belabar, Penang

This morning  I went searching for this Koay Teow T'ng stall at kampung Belabar with my wife.  From Penang Road, I turn into Arygll Road  and I found a stall which was crowed with people waiting to be served. The stall was in a shophouse , so I stopped my car and I went in to be seated. But, upon reaching the stall, I found out that it was selling Wan Tan Mee. It must be good  because a lot of people are still waiting to be served.  I asked one of the worker for the Keow Teow T'ng stall which was situated nearby.  She pointed to a back lane behind the petrol station.

It has been many years since I have eaten at this stall.  I think it is about 15 years ago, when the stall was located behind the old Cathay Theatre.  The stall was operating in a back lane and we have to eat the Koay Teow sitting on a small table. The Koay Teow T'ng was full of the inner parts of the chicken ie the liver, the heart, the intentines,etc. The texture of the Koay Teow is very soft and the soup is very tasty and sweet.  Since then, I heard the stall have moved to another back lane and I have lost touch with the stall.

When I walk over to the back lane, I could see the stall located at the entrace of the lane and there was many tables placed along the lane and it was packed with customers witing to be served.  The tables are also spread along the five foot walkway and also it was fully occupied.  My wife and myself have to wait for a seat. Finally, we got a seat in the back lane and besides the drain. 

In the back drain , there is another stall serving cofee and drinks.  Well, there is a strange smell coming from the drain but it is tolerable  but my wife prefer to wait for empty seats along the five foot way after placing the orders.

After 10 minutes, one of the helper placed a bowl of Koay Keow soup on my table and I asked my wife whether she ordered the Koay Teow  and she told me that it was a different type. Since it has been served, I asked my wife to eat first while I remind the helper to speed up our order. Finally, the correct order came and my wife eat the dried Koay Teow.  I was surprised at the disorderly manner but it is not necessary to comment to cause a scene , so we just eat whatever is served.

Well, we have adjust to the situation and it is pointless to correct their system of serving and we enjoyed what is served. With this open mindedness, life would be more tolerable.  We should not let our mood destroy our chance to enjoy such tasty food.

Recommendable for those people who do not mind the environment but just go for the food.  It is an experieince but I would prefer to eat in a proper location as there is still a taste of the "drain" in my mouth if I recap the experience.

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment