Wednesday, August 29, 2012

A cure for myloma - Brother James

Today, I read an article which said that in Singapore,  the doctors used stem cells  to replace the blood cells from the bone marrows.  It cost about S$35,000.00.  The drug have advanced so much in the cure of Cancer.

Last year, my BIL James die from the disease in November 2011 and only after nine months , a cure have been found using stem cells.  It is quite an iron because we were told that he spend about  RM1.5 million  to seek a cure in Bangkok.  If only he can live until today, he could have been cured.

There was a bit of confusion at that time, when BIL James seek treatment in Bangkok and also get a second opinion from a Penang Doctor.  Both Doctors have different opinions and the method of treatment. I have read a report that often Doctors are the cause of death as they experience with their patients. So, as a wise move , it is always better to have a second or third opinion and to see who is talking " cock" and who is  talking  "bull" or both is talking " cock".

The expression above shows the level of frustration at the expertise of the Doctors nowadays when we see a Doctor. I have the same experience with my Dentist.   When I removed my rotten tooth, he recommended me a denture and he told me that it is of good quality.  So, I believe him but the denture was so tight that it caused immense pain to my existing tooths  and I went back to ask him about this matter.  He said that  I need a strong denture because  I am a big man.  Next, I went to another Dentist and he told me that I should not use the denture because all my other tooth is loosening.  So, it is better to remove all my tooth and replace it with a full denture or I could use inplants to build up my teeth again.

It is not the money but I was very upset because my first Dentist should not recommend me a quality denture because he already know my other teeths are weak but for his business, he has not exercise a professional opinion.  I do not want to use him anymore because he is greedy and being unprofessional.

This simple example illustrate that we should not listen to one Doctor or Dentist but have several opinions and learn more about the subject and have a better judgement on the Doctors.  Some  Doctors are half-past baked or is out  of the main stream.

This afternoon while I was having lunch with my banker friend , J.  He told me to be careful of drugs for gout.  His father was having a weaak kidney and gout and seek treatment from a family Doctor who is quite elderly.  His Doctor friend gave a week's dose of  gout medication and it hurts his father's kidney.  His Doctor friend have make a wrong judgement and after knowing his mistake, he packed up his practice and retire.  He is lucky of not being sued and in America, such mal-practice is really a serious matter.

We leave our life to the Doctors with the hope that they are competent enough to treat us and not , in turn, poison us. So, asked for opinions to judge whether who is better or more competent and also to know more about the disease.

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment