Monday, October 18, 2010

Conflict of intentions

The day's work is finished, yet there are many pending matters to resolve.  How can we say it is finished when there are work to be done.  In the dharma, we are taught to focus on the present moment and we have to shut off what needs to be done tomorrow as what can be done today is finished.  This understanding is very important as it is no point carrying along the problems when nothing can be done to resolve it.  Stay in the present.

The topic above have been bothering me for the whole day as I struggle with my outsource partner during my working time. I have requested for  a cost down but he persistently reject the request citing that he needs the additional profit for his business.  My persistency to draw him into this discussion, finally draw an angry rebuke from him.  He has become my friend since the day he accepted the outsourcing job from my Company and it  has been a long time. I felt abit agitated because he do not want to talk about the topic and continued to cut me off from the topic. We have to be professional in handling our work but at the same time, we have to take care of the relationship ,so that at the end of the day, we are still friends.  This is a very delicate balance and sometimes, our emotions gets the better of both of us. We have our own employer to answer to and there is a conflict of our interest and intentions.

To have a win-win situation is very important to keep a good relationship going but at the same time, we have to be transparent with each other.  For one side to get agitated and the other side to give in is not good for relationships.  An understanding is very much needed to sustain the relationship going forward.

Another issue which is bothering me is an invitation to a official dinner which clash with my earlier personal appointment. Which appointment shall I go ? One party is my close business friends and another is my teacher.  I have missed my teacher's class a few times now and he is getting upset and if I do not go to the dinner with my friend, they will be upset. What shall I do ? Well, the day is done and finished and I have decided.

Life is full of conflicts.  Conflict of interest, intentions and behaviour.  Whatever, we have to decide and once it is done.  It is done.

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment