Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Rule of law - Dato Ambiga

I was invited by my friend, Teong for a buffet dinner at the Penang Club. I went there with my wife and the speaker for the occasion was Dato Ambiga. The dinner was sumptous and plentiful to eat. The crowd consist of the older folks like me was orderly and nice. I had a variety of food and I glut it down with a glass of beer at the courtesy of Teong. He told his wife that he drink because I drink and I took my wife the same reason for my drinking . HOpefully, these two wowen would not talk about drinking.

Penang Club is a private club behind Citibank at Jalan Sultan Ahmad Shah.It is a place for professionals to gather for lunch and a place for drinks in the evening. The club is the only place where they have a all male bar. It has been constantly redicule by the fair sex.They have their own reason for the peculiar rule.

Well, the topic for the night was rule by rule and Dato Ambiga was very well versed in this topic as she was a former Bar council chairperson and the leader for " Bersih". The rule of law means let the natural justice prevail as well as it should have an independent enforcement. We should have an independent judiciary system, An impartial police, a strong bar council and a fearless group of lawyers. The system must ensure the rule of law operate without hindrance.

Dato Ambiga is fearless against corruption and very much against the rule by law interpreted by the Police , MACC and A-G chambers. It is an oppression of the people's right and being very unfair.

The dinner run into the late night and at 10pm while the question and answers were on going.I am abit tired as it was already my bedtime.

Dato was a very good speaker and it is natural chatty as she is a lawyer by profession. She was awarded "the most couragious women's award". No doubt. her appearance was tough and fearless.Running Bersih is no easily task and during the last Bersih2 she was almost suffocated by the tear gas.

We have to stand up to fear and if we fear "fear" , we will be intimidated and suppressed. We have to stand up to corruption and injustice and let there be a voting where the better man win instead of money politics or by way of cheating.

Syabas to courage and no to fear

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment