Saturday, March 3, 2012

The best "Char Koay Teow" in Penang


When I was on my way back from KL to Penang on Friday, my boss H suddenly brought up the subject of food on the plane. Each of use was sitting on the isle seat besides each other and he asked me about food and I asked him where is the best "char koay teow" (fried white flat noodles)in Penang?

He told me that recently there was a "char koay teow" competition in Penang and the champion is from Asia restaurant in Air Itam on the way to Penang Hill. I have been to Asia restaurant and I think it caters more for tourist. I had Tim Sum and some noodles there but the food is only so-so. Nothing special. Looking at my puzzled face, he told me that the stall has only been open recently at that site after the owner win the food competition. Sorry, fellas, I have no experience to share on this stall.

I told H that I used to frequent the " char koay teow" stall at Lasia which is diagonally opposite the Asia restaurant. The "char koay teow" is abit wet and soft and it comes with three big prawns and it cost about RM5.50 per plate. You have to wait one hour for that specialty on certain days. After hearing, he has to wait for one hour, he told me that he will have to forget it because he is not used to waiting for food. Well, I know he dislike waiting and used to book his appointment in advance. Sorry lah no booking in this case.

He countered me another place for the " fried koay teow". He enquired whether I have eat the "char koay teow" at the padang brown. The owner fried the koay teow using charcoal. I stretch my head as I try to locate the site he had mentioned. Oh, yes, I told him. Is it near the famous persumbor stall and the "poh pian" stall. HIs answer was affirmative. Yes, I have tried the " char koay teow" at that place. It is very good and they place a few pieces of " lap cheong" on the fried noodle and it is abit oily. But, it smell real good. I used to eat the persumbor and the poh pian. These two dishes is my favorite.

It was my turn to test him. "Boss, have you tried the "char koay teow" stall at a coffee shop oppersite the ex-Federal Cinema?". His answer was negative. I told him that I went to the site and waited for half an hour and the owner told me to wait another one hour and that is when I give up waiting. I was told that it was one of the best "char koay teow" and they served the fried noodle with a few big prawns and it cost RM8.50 a plate. By far, this is one of the most expensive char koay teow in Penang.

Frankly, there are a few more places which serves good fried koay teows and some have diminished in status for the wrong reasons. The sisters' char koay teow at Macalister Road ,slightly oppersite the new Loh Guan Lye Hospital and the char koay teow in Lorong Selamat. Both these two stalls are managed by furious women owners who is famous for scolding their customers if you chase them for your order. For the locals, we have other sources but for foreigners, they are still famous.

There are still many good char koay teow stalls in Penang and I think there are easily 100 plus char koay teow stalls all over Penang. For your information, every kopitiam or food court, you will find a char koay teow stall in it and sometimes, it could be two or three stalls in a same complex.

I am only sharing my experience and one man's food may be another man's poison and in food, there is no absolute taste. Some food can be too sweet or too dry or too wet or too salty and each person have their special preferences. No one stall is an absolute winner. The same in life, no one way or path is correct for everyone of us. It is our choice and as long as we are happy, that is the winner.

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment