Saturday, February 25, 2012

Sunset cruise on Kanapuri River, Bangladesh


On the 21st February 2012 was a Language day in Bangladesh and it was a public holiday.Finishing up my report in the morning, my colleagues in Bangladesh have plan a cruise for me and my staff on the river Kanapuri. The word Kanapuri is about a girl's ear flower falling into the river. There was also a Bangali song about the river.

The cruise start about 4pm and as usual, the start was slow and not on time.About half an hour later, the boat set sail and all the passenger starts to get out of their seats and go on to the deck. Together with my colleagues, I climb up to the front deck and have a clear view of the whole river. The temperature was about 25 deg C and it was comfortable. The cold wind swept through your face and body and it refreshes me very much. With the sun setting gradually and there were so many ships park along the river. It was really romatic and soul cleansing as well. It was beautiful twilight setting which calms our nerve and re-energized our spirit.

Suddenly, we could see many people gathering at the river shoreline and I was told that it was a famous stretch of beach and people will go there just to watch the ship goes by. Bangladeshi been muslims cannot show part of their body especially the ladies' hair and it was uncomfortable for them to swim. In India. which Bangladeshi is part of INdia, it was social norm for the man and women to clean themselves in the river especially the holy ganges river.

The boat took a turn after reaching several kilometers down the river. During the return trip, the sun has already set and it was getting dark. We go back below the deck to our seats and there was a local band entertaining all of us. The whole trip took about two and a half hours. It was an experience for me even if was a simple boat ride. It brings back my memor of traveling down the Palash river in the spring, it was a more wonderful sight than the trip down Kanapuri river.

Yes, our fate have met ie my fate with the river. Thanks for letting me share your wonderful grace.

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment