Monday, February 20, 2012

A "no name " Chinese restaurant, Bangladesh

Hi, folks. I am now in Bangladesh. I have here for two days already and last night,my colleagues in Bangladesh took me to a Chinese restaurant on top of a hill in Chittgong. It was a dark winding road to the top of the hill and we took some liqour with us since this is a Chinese Restaurant. By the way, Bangladesh is a muslim country and open drinking of alcohol is not allowed.

We reached a private apartment and we have to walk three floors to the restaurant. The place was operated by a Chinese man from China and it was a private eatery with no name. we ordered a few dishes like the fish head soup, the fried duck, a steam fish, vegetables. The taste was slightly above average but what can you asked for in Bangladesh. We drank whisky, wine and beer. The Restaurant was packed with people from Hong Kong and China and when you are in their company, it is always noisy, loud and chatty. An open Karaoke was on at the same time which children running around. It was a mass of voice , noise , music, people shouting at the top of their voice.

I was abit tipsy but I can still manage to walk to my colleague's van and reach hotel. Before departing, I greet very body good night and I offered to hug a female colleague good night. But, I was rejected and been told that I was drunk. A simple good night hug is very normal in the western countries and in some Asian countries. This show of passion is often taken out of the context as something rude and offensive depending on the outlook and the mental setting of an individual.

Back in Malaysia, I have the habit to greeting my friends with a hug whether male or female especialy old friends which I have not seen for a long time. Most of them responded positively and passionately. It was an experience for me to be told off for my gesture. Why can people think so wildly from a simple gesture as an offensive attempt or a sexual advance ? Why can it be thought widely as a simple gesture of passion and an expression of concern for somebody or telling that person you like them as your friend.

In such incident, there is a clash of cultures and the mindset. The liberal vs the conservative and if you look deeply, you will notice the severe difference in thoughts and habits depending on the influence of our upbringing, the relgion we adopt and people we mixed with. It can be co-incidental or it could be by your own choice. There is a saying "you are what you eat" and in this case, "you are what you think". If you want to do a thing, you have a thousand reasons and in reverse, you also have a another thousand reasons. Who is right or wrong, it depends on your choice and how you want to live it in either a liberal or conservative way. Your mindset and mental outlook and belief.

Just like the Chinese restaurant, do the owner need a name? He is telling us that by placing a name, he will invite unknown guest and customers which is he is unable to serve. He prefer to be contented to serve friends who know him without a name. Wonderfully liberated.

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment