Saturday, February 11, 2012

Chaotic time in Penang,

My sister-in-laws together with my favorite niece and her boyfriend dropped in to Penang by car this morning from KL at 11am and they want to eat local Penang food. Of course, they have to pray to their late father first at the famous Kek Lok Si temple in Air Itam. Isuggested to have lunch in Air Itam where there is several spots for good hawker food but they insisted to eat at Lorng Selamat in Georgetown. Lorong Selemat is another famous hotspot for local food.

As I was going along the Air itam Road before reaching the famous Chung Ling High School, I hit smack into a massive jam. The road to Scotland Road was jam packed while the Air Itam Road leading to town is also jam packed. It was as if there is a big event in Penang but actually, there was nothing happening in Penang. It was a usual saturday traffic when it is a school day. The roads are all badly jammed and I have no choice but to inch a long. It was jam all the way to lorong selamat. It took me an hour to reach lorong selamat.

As usual on a weekend, this food hotspot was also packed with weekend visitors but we managed to eat Char Koay Teow, Hokkien Mee, Ice Kajang and assam laksa. The usual famous local food which foreign visitors loved and for the local, it is their daily diet. Good food really attracts people far and wide.

Apart from the heavy traffic, the crazy hot weather in Penang really kills. The sun today is extremely hot including now while I hide in my air-con room to write this message. It is not only hot but it burns. I think the hottest temperature today is 40 deg C. Hello folks, not minus 40 deg C which happens in Europe. I am thinking of trying to fry an egg on the road to prove that it really hurts.

So, we poor Penang people is suffering a massive jam and a burning sun, who would want to go out. I was thinking of having tea time in a nearby restaurant but just cannot get my self to go out in this heat and traffic. What else can we do? We have to surrender Penang to the crazy visitors lah, what else? LOL.

After eating the lunch and dropping them off, it took me almost another one and half hour to travel from the heart of Georgetown back to Air Itam. To have hawkers food, it took me an all in 3 hours to complete the task of travelling to lorong selamat, eat lunch and go back to my home in Air Itam.

On my way back, I hit smack in another massive jam with foreign visitors to Kek Lok Si Temple and Penang Hill. The traffic was crawling at ant's pace. I told myself, I need to learn to enjoy myself in a traffic jam and under a burning sun. It is just pure maddness. How can people want to suffer the pain under the sun to visit a hill, just a hill. I will need to appeal to the Chief Minister of Penang to ensure that there adequate facilities to make it worthwhile for these poor visitors.

I am still looking at the sun from my room and somewhat, I am enjoying myself even I am doing nothing, but just resting. Take a break and rest for a while. It is okay to do nothing.

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment