Saturday, February 12, 2011

I killed my gold fish

It was plain stupidity and trusting the wrong person.  Yes, I have a trusting nature and when I gave some assignment to the people around me, I will leave the whole task completely to the selected person. It has failed me many times but I repeat the same mistake. Albert Einstein once said " when we do a task the same way over and over again, if we expect a different result , this is insanity". Yeah, he is absolutely right, I am insane.

Yesterday, I bought a new aquarium for my gold fish and the vendor told me that he will deliver the equipment to me house and asked him to pay him first and he will arrange the delivery later. So, I pay up and went home to wait.  It was an hour later when the equipment did not arrive , I called to check and the vendor said that it will be delivered in a few minutes. I checked with him that how long it will be installed , he told me it can be done easily in less than 10 minutes.  So , I told my maid to empty the water in the tank and transfer the fish into a plastic pail and wait for the arrival of the aquarium. Ten minutes later the equipment arrived and followed by two technician in a van. Upon arrival, he told me that he is late for another delivery and after he unload the equipment , he told me to install the equipment my self. I refused and telling them that I don't know to install the equipment.  They were forced to put up the equipment and install the pump for me. After the installation, he start the pump and it could not work. He tried and tried but it failed to operate. He cursed and swear that it is the first time he has encountered such problem and he is late for his next delivery.  After several try and an hour later, the pump start to operate and by this time, my gold fish has turn 45%  and weak.  I try to pump them in another pond to keep them alive.  This is not the end of the story, after the pump start to operate, the technician told me that we have to let the pump run for another 30 minutes before I can put in my fish.  In my heart , I know this additional 30 minutes would be fatal for my fish.  But, I have to pray and hope for the best.  True to my belief, two of my gold fishes passed away while in the transit. I killed two of my gold fish. I could save them if I am a bit careful and plan to operate my aquarium until the installation of the new aquarium have been completed and fully certified operational. I am to be blamed for been careless and silly.

In life, we often neglect the details and fail to plan. There is no such thing as plan to fail but failed to plan. We take things for granted and assume  that  everything will run smoothly and leave it to the experts. Some of the experts and not experts but half baked in their knowledge and skill. We should not believe absolutely but to hold back some reservations and have back up plans if some thing starts to go wrong. The life of two gold fish maybe a small matter but it could have been worse if life of human being is involved.  Bad habits die hard and it will apply to small and big things.  It does not matter who small a task, we should apply the same effort , focus and attention to it. We have to make the best of everything and this should be our motto in life for it will never fail us.

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment