Thursday, February 17, 2011

The death of a Yoga teacher

My yoga teacher told us that her teacher which she learn most of her yoga forms have died an almost sudden death. He was only 46 years old, in perfect health and full of life. His last wish was for her students to perform yoga at his wake. When he went to Sarawak, he was in perfect health and upon his return his health took a slide and within two weeks , he passed away. It was a surprise to all her students and friends. Well, that is life, uncertain and unpredictable.

When we learn yoga, it was to promote health and longevity. In yoga, we believe that in our life we can only breath a million times and the slower we breath, the longer is our life. It is just like a bottle of water, if you drink slowly, it last longer but if you drink fast, your bottle will be empty and your life is up.  In the practice, breathing is very important and we learn to breath in constrict postures and in the air pockets of each lung. It is to stretch the breathing and when we are back in the normal posture, the breathing will be more natural and smooth.

In his case, he have practice yoga daily and he should have strong breathing style and great resistance to virus and illness. The cause of his death is unclear and the most probable cause is because of an infection to his liver. I do not know the real reasons but I expected yogis
to have long life and his  death have broken this myth. It does not matter how healthy
you look or feel. Life is uncertain. With a sudden twist of fate , life will change.  People who is expected to die old but instead die young. This is the beauty and sadness of life . You can never predict its outcome.

During the Chinese new year, I was taught to play the cards of " in between". It is a simple game. Each player will put money in a pool which becomes the table money and subsequently , each player is given two cards. For example , you get a two and five. You are requested  to play  against the pool of money on the table. If you buy a card for a certain amount of money , for example RM40 and if the third card falls in between the two and five, you can take RM40 from the pool of money and if your third card is a two or five , you will pay double and the money will be added to the pool.

My intention here is to show you my luck and the odds of this game like in real life. Nothing is promised or as your expectation. In the game, I have a pair of two  and the rule is for me to choose higher or lower. If higher, the chances is about 90 percent , that is , if the third card is 3 to King, I will win money from the pool of money and my down side is only a two or ace or one. I am very sure that I will win and I buy big and choose a higher than two. You know what happen, the third card was an ace which is one. I lost the game. I cannot believe my eyes , the chances of a small number is very slim and it just happen.  Well, I just say that it just happen. Like what happen to my grand yogi who die suddenly. The odds are very slim.

I apologise for comparing a card game with the life of my dead grand yogi. This is the uncertainty and the mystery of life. When you don't expect it , it happens and when you expects it , it misses you. So , we have to take life step by step. Enjoy the beauty and peace in each of your steps .

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment