Friday, February 25, 2011

Another CNY dinner last nite.

Yes, I attended another CNY dinner. Why was it held yesterday ? Already passed the 15 days of celebration? Yeah, the MC gave a simple reply saying people is extending the celebration for the full 1st month and the CEO told us that it is free food and drinks and we should enjoy our dinner.  Yeah, if there is free food and drinks , we can celebrate CNY dinnner everyday for the rest of the year.  Does CNY have anymore meaning? I don't believe food and drinks alone will make us happy. The reason I went for the dinner is to meet my friends. This is an occasion for my own agenda of renewing my friendships with my long lost friends.  Each of us have been busy with our own life and rarely have time to catch up with each another.

If we are happy, simple food and drinks and a suitable place to meet will make my day. But , if there is an occasion, why not we use it to see our friends.

Talking about having no time to catch up with our friends. I was surprised that two friends working in the same organization have not met each other for a long time. One is station in KL and the other one is Penang.  When they see each other last nite, they greet each other " long time no see". I was shocked and wonder whether they work in the same organization. They said that they have been talking with each other on the phone quite often.  hey, fellas, there is such a thing as tele-conference.  This is the latest technology and it is even available on the hand phones now.  Strange bed fellas.

Yeah, last nite I was seated among my friends and we talk about everything under the sun. From politics, to business conditions  and properties in Penang . Ow, a whole lot of subjects while we eat and  drink while a  Chinese traditional music band is playing . Hey, it is funny, the band is make up of all male. Usually, the female would be the one performing. There was such a all female band from China. All the girls are slim and beautiful and it is  a wonderful sight. But , last nite , the band comprises of young man and they played wonderfully . They were not appreciated so much judging from the applause. It will be different if they are young and beautiful girls. This is a sexist world.  Yes, we cannot denied that we look to look at young beautiful girls. Nothing wrong for appreciating beauty, right.

The restaurant was filled with laughter and shout of yam-seng. My female staff with me told me that it sounds like a wedding dinner. The CEO went to every table to yam-seng. Typical of Chinese dinners. The meaning of yam-seng have changed over the years. In the old days when we knock our glasses, the drinks will be finished in one toast.Now, it is only a seep. Traditionally, we toast with Chinese rice wine but now, we toast with orange juice, tea  and grape wine. Anything will do, even water.  This is modernization and evolution of civilization. From a page with tradition and meaning to a blank page in our culture. Good or bad, it is left to you to judge.

Last nite, there was too much drinks and food. I felt guilty after drinking.  The feelings is that I have to do more exercise to burn  the excess calories off.  If we eat less, we exercise less. This is a better formula, right? Temptation of our mind is difficult to resist as we were having a fun time at the expense of the host. At the end of the dinner,the manager caught up with me and ask for my support and business. You have been naive if you think that dinner is for free. There is no free lunch or dinner. You are paid for your services in advance by the food and drinks you consumed.

This is a realistic world. Nothing is free.

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment