Friday, June 22, 2012

Dinner at Beach Corner, Batu Fringgi , Penang

Last night , I had a dinner in this restaurant , Beach Corner, a Hainanese beach restaurant in Batu Ferringi. I left my office at 6.30pm after work from the mainland and it took me slightly more than 2 hours to reach there. If there is clear traffic , the time would be about an hour. There was massive jam along the way . Along the Jelutong Expressway, along Burmah Road , Kelawai Road and until Island Plaza in Tanjung Tokong. Bumper to bumper jam.  I could have reach Kuala Lumpur if I used a powerful car.Some people can reach Kuala Lumpur in just 2 hours from Penang to Kuala Lumpur.

Anyway, when I reached Baut Ferringi , the hawkers and retail shops were already open for night business and after reaching Golden Sands Hotel, we start to look for the restaurant on my left and before the neon light , TAS, there was a  small lane between rows of streets shops selling gifts and once , I turned it, there was a single storey restaurant and a spaceous carpark.

As I walk in, I saw that it was ony a few tables and my sister, C, my daugther May and her BF and my SIL G and BIL, ES was already there eating the first dish of spring roll. We placed another order and both my wife and me start our dinner.

My SIL, G  ordered quite alot of food. There was  a duck yam soup , hokkien fried noodle, a  dish of fried chicken called  enchi kebin, a mee suan soup and a curry fish head.  Surprisingly, the taste was delicious.  I have not heard about this restaurant but we were planning for a week to eat at this restaurant.  I don't know how much it cost as my SIL, G paid the bill.

As usual, there were a few tables of foreigners and a few tables of local families enjoying the good food.

Batu Fringgi  has a stretch of hotels , ie Raya sayang, Golden Sands, Park Royal, Holiday Inn, Hard Rock Hotel and Palm Beach resort ,etc. It is a famous tourist resort like Bali and it has a long beach front and many sea sport activiites. It is also similar to Koh Sar Mui and Krabi in Thailand. Since, it is quite a distance from town and my residence, we seldom to there to eat.  The local residents considered it too commercialized and the nature beauty of the sea front is already compromised.  But, for the foreigners, they enjoy the food, sun and the activities.

We finished our dinner at about 10 pm and it took me only 30 minutes to reach home because the traffic jam has cleared and the ride back was smooth.

Along the way to the restaurant and back,  there are blocks and blocks of condos, apartment , eateries , shop house and what not , lining on both sides of the road.  Penang have developed so much on the hill slopes facing the sea and along the sea front. Some of the sea front homes belongs to the rich and famous. One of them is the Loh Boon Siew Villa. He is the man who bring Honda cars to Malaysia and build up the business. He has a long story to tell.

So, if you have a chance, pick up a rack sack and go wondering in this sea front resorts and enjoy good food in some of the hide away places in this sea front resorts, Among the hotels, there are still good and cheap outlets.  Happy hunting.

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment