Friday, December 23, 2011

The death of an ex-colleague, AC.

In the afternoon, I attended the wake of my ex-colleague, AC. He had died from Cancer. A few of his colleagues were at the wake. Normally, nobody will go to the wake at this time of the day. Luckily, I have make arrangemet with his colleagues, who are also my friend to be there. Another fortunate thing was the weaather was kind to us. It was not hot and was windy. There a sense of loneliness and a feeling of desertedness. AC's wife and son was with us. We chatted for a while about his illness.

He was confirmed with Cancer of the liver in July this year. Immediately, he went for chemo but it was too late and he opted for herbs. He died in just 5 months after getting the disease. A few years ago, he had an operation for Cancer of the stomach and he thought that it wss cured. He did not do his follow up health checks regularly until it was too late. He was given a second chance but he blew it.

One of his colleague, D, who is also my friend told me that AC have a very wise philosophy in life and he took everything at his stripe and pace. When he was my colleague, I was not close to him. At 55, he retired and one of my friend, PH took him under his wing and offer him a job to support my company's logistic matters. He worked part time but he was gradually involved more and more instead of acting as advisory. He was working as an advisor to PH's company until he passed away.

As usual at the wake, the family will offer the guest to view the face of the dead. Some people for their own reasons would reject such invitation but I have a brief view. From my observation, the face of the dead is normally very peaceful. Just like when they are in a deep sleep.The image will stay with us for a long, long time and perhaps, it mend to be this way , that is to let us remember them.

TO this ex-colleague, AC. I would like to pray for him and asked him to rest in peace. In Christianity, it would be ashes to ashes , dust to dust. When we die, everything will return to the earth and from the earth life will be created. This is the law of evolution. In Buddhism, he has gone into another realm, waiting for re-birth. The law of Karma will evoled and he will be re-created in a different form and class of higher or lower merit. If you do good, you deserve good merits.

Before he died, my friend, D have requested me to see him in the hospital and I could not make it to see him. It was because of my busy schedule and the internal emotional struggle to stare death in the face again. In three months,
AC was the three one. Well, the show have to go on and the process of life stops for no one. The experience of knowing and seeing AC will have a long lasting impression in my mind and it will be store and at times, it will re-surface to kick up our awareness. This is life.

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment