Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Bakery classes , anybody ?

My daughter , May have a six weeks break and she spent her time wondering around seatching for good foods and surveying the Malls in Penang and KL in their free time. I could not bear to see her wasting her time while waiting for her new semester to start in 2012. If you take time to notice, the youngsters now is either on the laptop, Ipad or Iphone and they spent their time looking at the small boxes instead of the beautiful scenery and if their eyes gets tired, they will tour the Malls and lepak…ie wondering mind and soul.

One day, I caught hold of her and make her sit down and have a hearty chat with her. I asked hrr whst she likes to learn ? I suggested photography because I bought her a good camera recently . It cost me a fortune , RM2600 and her old ones pass to me. As usual, we always get the old ones as we aged. She told me no need and she suggested dancing or bakery. Okay, at least some thing but I rejected dancing because she was injured once when she danced ballet. Anyway, she got bow legs. Finally, she suggested bakery. I was happy.

I asked around and went to the internet to search for a few days and could not find anything suitable. They have classes in KL , Johor and East Malaysia but in Penang , it was very rare. I tried calling up the Companies listed as giving bakery classes in the internet but was no successful. I started thinking it might be a good business to do in Penang. I am still thinking about it.


Why is these bakery classes not popular in Penang ? Is it because it is not well advertise or the people in Penang do not like cakes. To my knowledge ,there are a lot of cakes shops in Penang. We have secret recipe, green loaf, Danish cake shop , continental bakery, rainforest bakery , and many more. There are many if you come to think about it. Why don’t they offer baking classes ? Could it be that they do not welcome competition or it is all about trade secrets ? Like the Chinese kungfu, if these sifu were to keep their secrets, it will be gone forever after their passing. Knowledge not passed on is a waste and meaningless.

Once, Tai Chi was a secret art among the Chinese but now , it was widely practice in Indonesia , Malaysia and Singapore and as far as Japan and USA. It has been commercialized and globalize as well. So, what about bakery , I am inviting all the sifus to come out of their shell and hiding to do something for the mankind. Spread your knowledge and skills and have kind compassions and give good cakes to the world.

Namaste.

1 comment:

  1. Just happened to see your blog. Did any bakery classes take place then? I am also looking for baking classes but then likewise it is not easy to find one in Penang...

    ReplyDelete