Wednesday, October 5, 2011

What an expensive feeling !

I was invited by my property agent to meet her at Straits Quay . My wife and me went to the site to meet J and she start to explain the location of the property using her Ipad2 and some plans on her hand.  It was getting dark as it was after work and there was a lot of mosquito's at the site and we decide to move to a more pleasant place to talk.  She suggested Dome at the Straits Quay and off we went in different cars .

When we reach the mall, we walk to the Dome which was located at the central point of the mall. Yes, she was there occupying a table and was waiting for us.  Both my wife and myself look at the menu and asked for two cup of hot chocolates while J asked for warm water. It was a normal chat as she continued to explain the location of the property. The property was located on a reclaimed land and from a swampy land it was converted to a prime property by E&O.  This is really a good branding exercise. The cost of per sq ft is about RM1000 in certain location in the area. It is very expensive compared to other areas on the Penang Island.

After the meeting, I suggest to pay for the drinks . To my surprise, two cups of hot chocolate cost me RM29. I was  shocked as I was prepared to pay about RM15 for two drinks. What happen to the world ? Everything is soaring high. It was beyond my expectation. Anyway, I have to pay fro the drink. The feeling was like been skinned alive. What the .....

At that time, someone familiar came me and I was busy settling the bill. The money seem hard to come out of my pocket. Perhaps, my hand was reluctant.  After settling the bill, my friend SF and her daughter have walked off and I have to chase after them.  Shy leh . I was desperately struggling to pay when she saw me. After greeting them, I told my wife that I had to get some thing to eat and I suggested that I buy some bread at Four Season. I know the place was a little pricey but it was good the last time.

I walked into the shop and the shelve was empty.  Business must be good and the sales girl point to some cake and bread which was sitting lonely on the shelves.  I walk to pick up some small chocolate cake and a bread. When I went to the counter to pay, she charged me RM17 for 4 small cake and 1 load of small bread. I almost shout out some four letter words but I was hungry and I bite my tongue and dip into my pocket to pay the bill.  I felt like I was severely violated or a feeling been raped. Now, I know the meaning of money is not enough. What is happening to the world?

The cost of living has gone up so much while our income is growing at a slow pace. Hey, I must be prepared as inflation eat into our money and our retirement fund. It is real and we better wake up and manage our finance properly. Otherwise, we will need to work until we die. How to afford to retire?  No wonder some people say that retirement means early death. No money better die lah. How true?

The insight from my experience really drive a knife into my brain and wake me up. I just spend RM46 for two drinks, four piece of small cakes and a load of bread. I know the meaning already " eat also die , don"t  eat also die". Finally, we die , so we eat lah. I am only kidding about dying but the real message is for all of us to realize the true facts prevailing around us. If we don't change or do something different, don't expect a different result.  If yo want to spend more comfortably, we need to work harder and to get more income. Otherwise, instead of Four Season roti, we should eat Indian roti.  Anyway, roti is roti whether is Four Season or Three season roti . All roti is the same.

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment