Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Be a good listener

I feel like I have fallen into a web and the web is holding me very tight and I am suffocating while struggling to breath. Like a drowning man, I wanted to hold on to a straw and the straw could be you. When we are in deep thoughts or in midst of a serious problem, we want to find someone to listen to our problems. Not talking but be a good listener could provide an outlet for your loved ones and friends.Listening is a very good way of communication and the speaker will appreciate your time and effort to be there and to listen patiently. Lately, I read of an organization called " befrienders". I have learn of this organization many years ago from a friend who is active in this organization and recently, my boss also said that he is contributing to befrienders. This organization is not a match making organization and the purpose is to listen to callers who are having problems and need someone to listen to their problems. The callers are not looking for a solution offered by the befrienders but just for someone to listen to what they are feeling and what is their problem. This is a good way for the callers to release their pressure and stress in them even at the end there is no solution. My message today is that we can be befrienders anywhere if we spare the time and effort to listen to what other people is talking and acknowledge what they had said. Some times, we need only to be there and listen without offering any advise or comments. Silence is golden or people said " sound of silence" can have the calming effect on the callers or befrienders. Words can often sent the wrong message or advise. Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment