Friday, September 12, 2014

A ferry stuck by low tide

On Monday, I had a shock of my life when the Perlis Ferry could not dock at the Kuala Perlis for 5 hours.  The ferry have started at 10am in the morning and the trip was supposed to take only 3 hours but instead it only reach the ferry terminal at 10 pm.  It was a 12 hours wait.

I called my daughter M at 4pm and she told me that the ferry took six hours to reach Kuala Perlis terminal but the ferry cannot dock because of low tide. One of the engine of the ferry have broken down and it was only travelling with one engine all the way from Langkawi to Kuala Perlis and it got stranded because of the low tide.

At 5 pm , I called the ferry operator and they told me that the ferry will dock at 9pm and at 6pm , I called again to check the situation but the office workers have all left the office.  I could not contact their office and I can only communicate with my daugther M. It was a hollowing experience.

The day was Mid Autumn Festival and I have to rush all the way from Penang to Kuala Perlis to see what is actually happen. The road there was long and it needs 2 hours of driving time. We followed the GPS but there was a lack of internet access and the GPS could only work on and off and many times, it told us that we have reached our destination when we are still among the kampong houses or near padi fields. It was frigthening as the roads gets narrower and smaller. We were lost at one time but we could struggle and manage to return to the proper direction after some search.

It took us two and half hours to reach Kuala Perlis and by that time, my daughter's ferry have already docked and she was waiting for us. We have skip our dinner and we start to look for food near the Kuala Perlis terminal but there is only one shop, KFC and they were closing at 11 pm. All the staff were ready to go home but we managed to struggle to get a few piece of chicken for our dinner.

At 11pm, we were on our way back and it took us one hour and 30 minutes to reach Penang and we were traveling at 160 km per hour at certain stretch.

Anyway, the whole journey and experience was a bad experience. Hope that the readers can learn a lesson from my story.

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment