Monday, June 9, 2014

I met an old friend today

I met an old friend for lunch. He is retired and now doing a small business to pass his time and earned some money for his daily expenses. This friend was a secondary school friend  and he was a banker for thirty plus years before he retired. Yes, we have been pals during the school days and we continued to business with each other when he was in the bank.

We have came through life a long way  and we know each other very well until this day.  He has gone old with his bald head and rotten teeths but I am a bit better than him still keeping whatever hair I have and wearing my dentures. I think he is more hagged than me.

We talk about our old friends during the lunch and he updated me that a few mutual friends have actually retired.  For him, he taking things easy and pass each day with gratitude.  Yes, we have to live very day as a blessing and try to live happily. Whatever can we asked for after so many years of hard working life.

He has four children and all female and I keep teasing him whether he want a male child or not but he did not get his wish. His children have grown up already and two of them will be working very soon. Well, this is the phase in life.  We grow old wither away while our children start rat race through this materialistic world.

Life is so funny and when we look back , it has been 40 years past and how many more 10 years left and the feeling is anxiety and helpless.  However, we have to manage this feeling and try to have hope each day.  Whatever hope it can be, otherwise, without hope there is no meaning to life.

Yeah, my time to retire will come one day and it cannot be denied as more and more of my friend retired ahead or together with me. This is a certainty and there is no need to hide. Life have to go on even if this fact cannot be denied.  We have to remain useful and positive.

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment