Thursday, December 6, 2012

Appreciation dinner from HL Bank

Last night I attended the Appreciation Dinner organized by  HL Bank at E&O.   I was invited and I wanted to attend the dinner to catch up with some old banker friends from the bank. I was expecting an organized dinner and would want to enjoy some quality time with my friends.

When I reach the dinner hall, there were already a big group of guest and bankers enjoying their drinks.  The bank provides  wine, whiskey and beer.  Unlimited quantity and everyone was drinking , talking and laughing. I walk around and managed to locate the person who have invited me and I asked to see my friends from the bank and unfortunately, they were not invited or not free to attend. I was quite disappointed as the HL bankers were quite strange to me but among the guest I saw a few familiar faces.  I said "hello" to them and that was about it.

I was told that I would be sitting among the main tables and I try to refuse as I do not know them very well or do not know them at all except their CEO who is sitting in the main table. However, the organizers refused to change table for me and I was forced to sit at one of the main tables with Dato's , HL bank's strong supporters. I exchanged my name card with them and we waited patiently for the dinner to stay. We did not wait long before dinner was served.

The host at my table was the  Corporate Division head of the bank and he introduced himself nicely before the start of the dinner. But , he was talking about having " Char Keow Teow" at lorong selamat in Penang bfore he come to the dinner.  He told us that he was very full and he only drinks whiskey. So, I expect the remaining nine people will eat with me. 

The first dish came and only four people eat while the rest of them continue drinking wine and whiskey .  The second dish came and only four people left sitting around the table and only two person eat the food. By the fhird dish, only one person , that is me sitting there and eating while the rest of the table guest have stood up and gather in groups to drink. It was so akward and I continued with my eating and drinking wine.  I did not bother to stand up and join them in their drinking spress.

This scene reminds me of my old days when the bankers force us to drink whiskey and brandy during noon and we drink like cows and ended flat out. We even try to use chinese tea to represent brandy to bluff the tipsy bankers. We were drunk many times over and in many occasions.  This was the trend and culture at that time. And last night's occasion remind me of these whiskeyful days.  I shivered down my spine as these 60 plus old people dirnk like a 20 years old. It is very damaging as the strong whiskey and brandies will hurt our stomach especially when we have not eat enough food.

After the fourth dishes,  I get up to excuse myself and enough is enough.   I have better things to do despite the food servings were good.  The smell of whiskey have already intoxicate me and before I fall, I ran.
Best wishes to these guys staying behind and I hope the best for you.

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment