Sunday, September 18, 2011

Age is just a number , is it ?

Life have an expiry date and there is a gradual process of aging. We motivate our self and keep telling us that age is just a number so that we can continue to do the things we have been doing all these years. We look at the old film stars for inspiration and follow them to use all the available cosmetics to look young  and beautiful. But, that is all we can do, we will age. In reality, we will get old. On the surface, we act tough and keep it going.

Why am I sharing this thoughts with all of you? I notice that the pain which I endure after the yoga class, starts to take a longer time to heal.  The pain in the muscles and the joints is sore and painful. People say that this is "syok" pain ( taking a paraphrase from our PM). Not really, how can pain be comfortable. Last Saturday, my yoga teacher asked us to attempt a half split and hold the position to a 10 counts. The enormous pain erupts from the hip and the legs take a long time to adjust back to normal. I start to ask myself, do I really need to follow the routine to that extend? What do I need to prove.  I should be doing Tai Chi or Gigong and it would have been much easier.

Yes, I am trying to prove to my self that age is just a number and I can continue to do the things which I have been doing during my younger days. It is getting tougher but I need to be fit and still continue to climb trees and run 100 metres at 12 seconds. I have been watching the IAA channel during the recent championship and I saw how Usain Bolt run and he picks up speed from the mid span until the finish. It was amazing and I still think  I could do it. Fat hopes.  I have never run that fast at 12 seconds.

This is really a mis-match of my age , body and my mind.  It could spell trouble for me if I overdo it. I explain this to my yoga teacher but she believes in age is  just a number.  My wife have been telling me that we should not take yoga to the extreme but it a slow pace and more relaxing yoga will be fine. Yes, I am seriously thinking about it rather that acting like freaks doing the bridge, crow and the half split. I think if I do the full split, my legs will never come back to its normal position. Do laugh. I know you laughing to your self.  It is true, we have to slow down according to our age and we should not be trying to compete with the young ones. Let them have their days and we  keep our pace.

For good health and gradual aging.

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment