Wednesday, March 16, 2011

All by myself after midnight

On my way back from Bangladesh and sitting here at the Dhaka airport all by myself. I was tired after a busy day but able to catch some power nap in the afternoon. The short nap help me to sustain me for the rest of the day including entertaining some bankers in the evening. The trip to the airport was a bliss as Bangladesh is battling with West Indies in the World Cricket Championship. Bangladesh will go into the quarter –finals if they beat West Indies. Now it is cricket fever in Chittagong and Dhaka. I am not sure whether the people celebrate outside the two main cities. Anyway, most of the population is busy making a living for themselves.
On my way to the airport while waiting for the traffic lights to turn green, there was a knock on the window screen . It was not the first time I hear the familiar knock. I try not to turn my head towards the window but I failed and I took a peep. I saw an old women face and she look sad and worn out and is begging for some money.. I don’t mind giving but the thought of supporting a begging life style stops me from giving. I have been to going to Bangladesh since twenty years ago and each time, the beggars are getting less. I notice this change and definitely the Country have progress. I do no want to see the old Bangladesh. I was told by my friend , Islam that 30 years ago, the people can only afford to eat one or twice a day and in the current times, most people are getting three meals a day. The poverty rate have fallen a lot. With these thoughts in mind, I have to look the other way to avoid the sad face of the women beggar.
Now, it is approaching 1am Malaysian time and my flight is taking off from 2am. My eyes are getting heavy as I continue to write this article. Meanwhile, I got the news that the radiation leak in Japan is getting worst and it is spreading to Asia and based on the wind pattern, it will hit the Philippines and the rest of Asia. I don’t how much true as suddenly, there are so many experts on this matter and each is giving their own version of the consequences. Maybe, the SMS in Dhaka about radiation reaching the capital could be true after all.
My guest at the dinner table talks about the potentiality of more business with my Company. I told them that we are very cautious people and will only take small steps before making a bigger step. This has been our guiding strategy. However, my guest told me that after the radiation fear , the price of steel will soar sky high because steel is in demand for the rebuilding the housing needs in the disaster area in Japan. Yes, this is true and this keep the price of property on the firmer note. Well, another chance to make more money.
Well , going back the discussion I have had with my friend , SW. He is thinking of an early retirement as he has make his due. His words of advise to have more time to ourselves kept ringing in my ear.. What is the different in leaving behind Ringgit 1million or 10 million. The additional "0" have not meanings. The future generations will not remember you. People have short memories. Well, we cannot be doing nothing and we have to keep our focus to control our monkey mind. A single thought or a single action is the best way to discipline the mind. I could not agree more with the wisdom of SW and it is the truth. But, apart from money, we have to do something which is passionate for us. I coming to Bangladesh to build a new frontier and this has been my life work. On Monday, when the project I have worked so hard to support , start their soft opening and I feel good after so many years of hard work and missed chances.
I could not explain the feeling of seeing the machines start their operation after the soft opening. It will grow and I know it will grow into something bigger. I could have the sense of fulfillment.
Yes, I am tired and now it is almost 1.15am Malaysian time. My eyes are tired and my body sinks with sweat and there are so many mosquitoes flying around me. I could hitting at least one with one swing of my hand. In Buddhism, we refrain from killing but it will take a highly ordain monk to be bitten without any response. I have not achieve the level of enlightenment, so excuse my , folks. I have to protect myself. So, good night and sweet dreams to all of you.

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment