Thursday, March 17, 2011

Able to sleep well is a bliss

The flight was leaving Dhaka at 2.00 am Malaysian time and it was full flight. Rather suffocating and feeling of jam pack. Try to catch some sleep but could not close my eyes despite the tiredness. Switch on the flight TV programme and watch the movie " Reign of the assassin". Have watch the movie before but in a different version. The actress was trying to escape from her assassins by undergoing plastic surgery. Funny that this technique was available during ancient China.  Unbelievable things happen.

Anyway, I had a little bit of intermittent sleep and the plane arrived in Singapore at 6.30am and the connecting flight to Penang was at 8.00am and reaching Penang at 9.30am and it was impossible to have a proper sleep during the trip. Upon reaching home, I was completely drained and flat out. I went straight to bed and my mechanism just shut down and I sleep for hours to let my body repair the damages which I have suffered during the trip.

Lack of sleep is a serious matter and I have experienced living in a zombie stage.  My focus and judgement was out of tune and my energy level was low. While we are in this stage, it is very dangerous to drive and if we do, we will experience near misses from accidents or our parking will be out of the mark. You will realized that at some moments you are in a daze as if you are drugged.  The whole body, mind and body mechanism will be in a bloody mess. Your control of your bodily functions is out of sync.

One of my friend, SW told me that when he was a junior trainee at a auditing firm. He used to work late in the night and only sleep for 3 hours.  His hard work in the late nights won him many promotions in his jobs and when he became the partner in his firm, he also continue the late night trend  until he became old and near retirement, he told me that he barely sleep for  3 hours a day. His body mechanism has been "fixed" and he could not sleep an additional hour.  He will automatically wake up at a particular hour in the night. He could not slow down and to spend the morning hours when other people is enjoying their sweet dreams, he will go for meditation at his meditation center to slow down his active mind.

Medically, it has been found that our body needs an average of 7 hours of sleep a day. When we are sleeping, our body and mind have the time to repair itself.  This is nature's way of recuperation.  In another aspect, good sleep is an enjoyable rest. Simply, sleep is a joy. But, too much of it makes us inactive and  lazy. Too much sleep is like long hours of meditation and if we are caught in the loop, we will tend to stay in that dream world. Well, I keep reminding myself that we should have a balanced life and follow Buddha's teaching of following the "middle path".  Extremes are damaging to our health and our life.

It is not how long we live but how well we live. My advise to all my readers is that live a balance life and do away with extremes and obsessions.  If we sleep well, our body is in a balance and every bodily functions will also fall into the same balance.  This will make our life a wonderful experience.

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment