Saturday, January 15, 2011

Stuck in transit

Now I am stuck in Bangkok International airport for 4 hours, waiting for the connecting flight to Penang.  Just flew in from Chittagong and the airport was so foggy that the flight have to be delayed for take off. The temperature was cold in Dhaka and Chittagong.

The flight touch down at 2 pm , Thai time. Bangladesh is two hours behind  Malaysian time and Thai time is one hour behind which makes Bangkok, a mid way between Bangladesh and Malaysia. Well, it is not exact but  quite correct as an estimate.

The Thai Airport is segmented into East and West wing when you are coming into Thai Airport terminal from the plane but after you clear the check in counter which is a level above, there is four segment , leading to North, South, East and West. The whole passage way is linger with shops , shops and shops.  From brand name apparels to fast food chains serving coffee, selling souvenir and food.  There is a different shop called " Chang". It means "elephant" in Thai language.  It is a Thai massage outlet and it charged US$23 per hour.  This is a place to seek relief and stress from the travel especially from a place like Bangladesh.  During the massage, you can catch up with your  sleep  and if one hour is not enough, you can add as many hours as for a hefty amount  if you want but it can be pricey.  This is exactly what I did, I got a foot massage and I doze off for one hour. Mind you, for those thin skin beings, it can too painful for comfort and you can request for adjustment to moderate the pain.  Without pain, how can we get comfort and pleasure. Sorry, the comfort  will come after the pain.

Another good past time is the Internet service. That is what I am doing now writing to enlighten you on this service. It cost 250 Baht for an hour of " brain exercise"  and passing the boring time at airports.

The food is OK is you have a simple choice but the standard of  English at some food joints are not so good. This funny incident happen to me when I gave a US$50 for a 180 baht food juice. The lady at the counter told me that she don't have enough US$ for a change and offer to give me the change in Thai Baht. I refused because I need US$ and she sent one of her helper to get the change but she came back and told me that the Airport Authority only allow transit passenger to exchange for foreign currency and  forbid the local  business  people  to exchange foreign currencies.  It was quite strange and I offered to pay her in Ringgit and they told me that Ringgit is not accepted in Thailand. She told me that it is difficult to use Ringgit in Thailand.  I was abit cheeky and told her that Thai Baht is also not usable in Malaysia. But this is not true.  Anyway, to cut the story short , I accepted the change in Thai Baht and walk off.

During the negotiation to change the currency , she told me that she will " change you" and asked me to wait. I reply that she needs to change the currency and not to change  me. What she mend is that she will change for me and asked me to wait. But, she skip the word "for" and it became  "change me".  This could be a lame joke but it keeps me amused for a few minutes and let me pass the difficult time.

At this time, I am still waiting for the connecting flight and for those resting at home, treasure your time with  your family members. In the difficult transit time , when you are stuck in motion, you will missed your family and the good time you have.  Stay at the present moment and cherish whatever you have.

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment