Saturday, November 13, 2010

Age is just a number

While I was having my breakfast at my usual coffee shop, I saw an auntie walk into the shop. There  is nothing unusual as it is a normal sight at any coffee shop. But , this auntie  is about 60 year old or more.  Her long hair was tied up as pony tail, she was wearing a sleeveless T-shirt and a sport pant  with a tattoo on one of her arm. Such type of dressing is for the young yuppies of today.  There is nothing weird if we are in the West but for our Asian culture, it looks abit out of place.  It could be my upbringing and exposure to life. There are dressing for older people and certain type of dressing for young people. This is a funny distinction but it is make up by people and it is staying that way unless we change our mind-set,

Yesterday, I was at a yoga class. The teacher is new to me and there are alot of young girls in the class. I want to make it clear that I do not take up yoga because of young girls but purely for health, The girls were at their early twenties and perhaps first time to yoga class  They were wobbling and shaking and could not even perform the tree pose. The tree pose is simple pose  with your two palms together at the chest level and standing on one leg with the other leg on the thigh. Alternating the left and right leg to complete one set.

In my earlier article, I told you about one yoga teacher who is about 60 plus and she perform her routine with ease and strength.  a wonderful sight and I think it is a class above most of the youngsters.  If we keep our health and our strength, through yoga or weight lifting and with proper diet and proper relaxation and enough sleep, we can delay our aging process. Our body can stay young and powerful while we age.

I took up Tai Chi when my master  who is already 72 years old could let me punch him or push him as hard as possible and he did not move an inch but he only place one finger from each hand on my chest and with a push, I was flung back three feet.  He has enormous strength and chi. He has impressed me since I took ,up the exercise and I believe  that Tai Chi can make us stronger  despite our aging process.
Since then, I have seen many old grand masters performing their internal strength and the wonderful growth of Chi.

After seeing that auntie with the trendy young wear, it just bring up all these experience and memories. There is nothing wrong to wear anything you like as long as you feel comfortable. We have to break away from our conservative outlook and mind-set and achieve a break through.  Don't let what other dictate our life style. We go through this journey but once. Live well.

Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment