Wednesday, November 2, 2011

ATICS College Restuarant in Penang.

Spot who is May ?


















A few months ago, my daughter , May told me that her college is starting a restaurant. It is a logical step as she studying Culinary Arts and operating a restaurant is part of her study program.  At her insistence, I have been there a few times  and I could see that the lecturers have embarked on a role play as part of their training.  The role play is actually to rotate each student to a different role in the operation of a restaurant.  Yes, this is an interesting program especially building up their confidence and inter-personal skill.

As the restaurant was run by trainees at the supervision of their lectures, the food is ok and the service is raw.  When I say the food is ok means the taste is acceptable and sometime good but the portion is a bit large and their service is raw meaning that the trainee waiter and waitress are  nervous and place the cutleries in the wrong side or missing sets,  This is understandable and very normal in a training program.  But, the only thing , I feel awkward is that the lecturer will confront the students in front of the customers and telling them what they have done wrong.  Maybe I am wrong but I felt really uncomfortable.

After the lunch, I called May and told her that it is really very uncomfortable even the price for the food is at a discount rate.  The discount covers the fluctuating taste of the food, drinks , raw services and awkward confrontation by lectures.  Yeah, nothing is free and whether it is value for money, it is up to you. My boss always tell me “ when you pay peanuts , you get monkeys” .  This is really true.  I am not saying that the trainees are monkeys but literally, it mean “good things is never cheap and cheap things are never good”. However, I disagree with this general statement,  occasionally,  you get cheap things which  is really good. Once , I brought my friend , D there and he ordered steak and the portion was big and the taste was good.  It cost him only RM20 for the lunch. Where can you get it at that price .. So try it out.

For those of you in Penang.  Support the trainees at the ATICS College Restaurant and it is open for lunch at 12 noon every Tuesday and Thursday.  So, see you there sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment