Friday, November 25, 2011

Are you happy?

It is nonsensical for me to ask this question? Definitely, you should be happy. Why not? It is human nature to search for happiness and to avoid unhappiness. We should be happy all the time, shouldn't we ? Then, why not? Put aside Buddha's teaching of the middle path,a space of non-happiness and non-saddness. A point of nothngness because when there is happiness, there is saddness unless you can always maintain the highest point of happiness when you attain enlightenment. For the layman, we always look for happiness.

Happiness is only a feeling, our own feeling. Then, when it is our own feeling, then why we choose to be unhappy? It our decision and our choice. We can determine to be happy all the time. Yes, you are right. It is within ourself and we can decide. We can decide when we are aware of the choice and power of our mind. Many a times, we ae unaware of our existence and the power of our mind. We do not know that it exist and we can control it. For some people, they believe their mind controls them. Sorry to say, these are the walking deads. They blame everything on their mind. All the miseries and wrong doings come from their mind and they play no part in it. Either these people are too clever or too stupid.

For example, I have been having a disturbing thought troubling me the whole of yesterday. It came into my mind several times and caused me unhappy feelings. It was a disturbing words said by someone to me at lunch time yesterday. I am aware of this thought coming into poking my mind and I try not to do anything about it. I told myself, I should not be disturb by this thought. I brushed it aside and it came back a few times and I brushed it off. I did not forcefully bring the thought in my mind and shout at it or punch it, I just do nothing about it and focus on the beautiful thoughts. I did not force it out and simply acknowledge its unpleasantness and shift my thoughts and told myself I am the master of my own mind. If we shoose to be the slave of our own mind and behave like the walking deads, then so be it. This is also your choice.

An untrained mind is like wild monkeys have a wild banana party jumping around and breaking things in their path. The wildness is like our mental habits which runs our life and creating all the anger, unhappiness, saddness,etc. It makes the decision for us and drive us to the wall. If we are aware of these habits in us, we should acknowledge there are many wild monkeys and their behaviour and habits. Once, we get this awareness and mindful about it, we will be able to control it.

Just like when a beautiful women or a handsome man walks by, our eyes will automatically moved to their direction. It is natural because we are trained to appreciate beauty. During we are going up, we are taught to appreciate beautiful things and we are taught what is the defination of beautiful. The decision to see could land us in trouble when we are not focusing. But, our mind push us to see, it is not our decision but we automatically turn to watch the women or man. It is the work of hte wild monkeys or our mental habits. The mind has taken over the control of you.

LIke I say, happiness is a just a feeling and it is within us. This consistent awareness and consciousness will train our mind to follow our thoughts and decision. It is just like a blind man seeing the light and shouting " I see it now and I am aware of it".

Congratulations.... you have broken free from your mental habits if you understand this meaning of happiness.

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment