Monday, March 31, 2014

A salute to Irene Fernandez, a civil activist.

I read about the demise of Irene Fernandez and I was shocked that such a civil activist had died from a heart attack.  Her name was welcome in Malaysia as she stands up against corruption and human rights. I could read her name in the press or reports talking about what she is doing for Malaysia.

I wonder who would want to be a civil activist ? Is it for name or frame or money ? No.  I think it is passion for the sake of the public.  So much moving around,  fighting for recognition or fighting for merits of a case and standing against the people in the corridor of power or against police.  Having to be pushed around sometimes and stressing a point to win a case.  So much mental and physical abuse from the job.  I would not want the job but there are people like Irene who have the passion to hold on and fight for the rights patiently.

Yes, we missed another people who stands up , be counted and speaks up strongly for justice, against corruptions and abuses of human rights.  I salute these people who can sacrifice for the human race and take the abuses at full force.

We need more of such people in order to prevent darkness from gaining strength over light and light the path for justice.

To Irene, we salute you and may you rest in peace.

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment