Thursday, April 12, 2012

Last night in Tokyo

Today is my last working day in Tokyo and with all the assignment completed as of today, my colleagues and I had a very good sushi dinner with all the wines, beers and wiskey. It is like eat what you can and we eat everything at our heart's delight. We had a wonderful time at a Tokyo club and we bid goodbye after the dinner. It must be a very expensive dinner as the standard of living in Tokyo is the highest in the world.

The other day, I bought a long piece of banana and it cost me 126 yen. One piece of banana for about US$1.5. In Penang, I could have bought 10 to 12 pieces. This simple example will tell you how expensive it is to live in Tokyo.

My colleagues and I took a long walk back to the hotel after the dinner and on the way, we were unsure of the directions and we stop to ask 3 or 4 people and they told us that they are unsure of the direction. Yes, we could have taken a taxi back to our hotel but we decided to exercise after food. From the response, we could know that the city is really big and most of the people on the streets are not living in Tokyo and they are here to work. For the Japanese people, they work very late and they don't have the time to come out at night except to entertain. Many Japanese leave their family back in their home town and stay single to work in the City.

Another insight is that time passes very fast and it is already the 5th day in Tokyo and I will be taking a night flight back to Penang on Friday mid night. I hate night flights as I don't get to sleep and if I can, it will be in short gaps. Well, this has been the arrangement and I will need to go through with it. After reaching Penang, I will catch up with my sleep on Saturday and Sunday and will be back to work on next Monday. It is hell of a hectic and I can never enjoy such kind of trips.

The arrangement of flight in the night is the same as the trip to Bangladesh and the feeling of lack of sleep often sent shivers down my spine. What can I do but to endure the discomfort and the pain. It has been my fate or my arrangement and is always my choice. I cannot blame anyone but my self. The thought of coming back to Penang early have driven me to take this decision of taking night flights.

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment