Monday, May 30, 2011

Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder.


Dedicated to Sarah. Hope you have found the joy in the beauty or the beauty in the joy.



















I have written an article on this subject before in this blog but I am tempted to further expand this subject a bit further.  I was told by my SIL, MC that her relative, SA likes to spend hours sitting on her balcony and look out to the Ocean and the horizon marking the skyline between the sky and the sea. Yes, this is an immense joy which cannot be expressed in words.

I have told this story before and I want to say again here.  Once, there was a great monk who often invite his stdents to follow him when he is out in a walk. His condition for his student is very simple. They must not say a word during the walk. So, one day, a student followed during his evening walk and the sunset was so beautiful and the colours of the sky was so well blended like  a master piece and the student could not hold back his joy and exclaimed " what a beautiful picture". Immediately, the great monk stop his walk and sent the student back to his monastery. Beauty cannot be described in words. When you used words to express its beauty, you have down graded the beauty. Beauty can only be felt in the heart. The incredible feeling of  Oneness with the beauty. We absorbed our self in the beauty and if we described it, we are separated from the beauty and the feeling is spoiled.

So, sitting at the beach, looking out into the sea and listening to the calming sound of the wave is to be one with nature and you absorbed your self into into the same picture. You are there and yet , you are not there because you have emerged your self into the picture. I have mentioned before, the same thing happen in meditation.  For meditation practitioners, this feeling is understandable as your mind is in One with your environment and the incredible peace and calm, you will enjoy and it is very difficult to get out of this stance because it has a wonderful and incredible feeling.  You could sit hours , fully absorb in the peace and beauty.

Meditation can also be by sight or sound and inter-changing between sight and sound. The focus on a far distance project in the horizon or the movement of an object in the distance could memorized you and slow down your breathing and empty your thoughts or the calming sound of the wave , sweeping towards the shore and give out a rhythmic sound which calms the nerves , slow down our breathing and bring peace to your mind. It is really an incredible feeling of peace and Oneness.

I have this experience when I was on holiday with my family in Andaman Hotel in Langkawi.  I was lying on a bed placed on the sea side, resting. When I closed my eyes, I just focus on the sound of the waves slowly sweeping on the shore and a complete calm and peace came over me. I was not meditating but soon, I dozed off and when I woke up a few hours later, I felt I have the best sleep ever.  I was so fresh and peaceful es if  I came out of a deep meditation. It was bliss and joy. I could nevert forget this piece of my life history.

As I say in my earl er article, doing nothing is doing something. That is to be one with your self and your surrounding. If you like to sit and watch the ocean and the waves, you should continue it and  enjoy it to the fullest. Be One with nature.

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment