Sunday, April 24, 2011

The death of Sai Baba ( news )

THE death of Sathya Sai Baba has left a deep void among his followers worldwide.

The spiritual guru, who was regarded by his followers as a manifestation of God in human form, had stated in 1963 that Prema Sai Baba will be the proclaimed future incarnation of him.
But the incarnation was reportedly to take place in 2023, with Sai Baba saying he would die at the age of 96 in 2022.
Now that Baba has died prematurely at 85, nobody knows when the next spiritual leader will arrive.
Baba was reported to be the rebirth of a former guru, Shirdi Sai Baba, who died in 1918.
Whether a new guru will be reborn or not, the focus now is how Baba's US$9bil (RM27bil) giant trust and the international township of Puttaparthi will be managed.
His trust runs a university complex, a 220-bed hospital, a world religion museum, a planetarium, a railway station, a hill-view stadium, a music college, an administrative building, an airport and an indoor sports stadium.
Among Baba's many financial supporters was the former owner of the Hard Rock Cafe chain of restaurants, Isaac Burton Tigrett, who went to live in Puttaparthi and donated much of his fortune to the trust.
To Baba's followers, Puttaparthi is a major pilgrimage town because many found hope and solace there.
I first met Baba in Puttaparthi on Nov 7, 2009 and received his darshan (blessings), an understanding which has left an impactful impression in my life.
I still remember that when I set foot into his renowned ashram Prasanthi Nilayam (Abode of Peace), I had to go through airport-style security checks, including walking through a metal detector and being frisked.
Cameras, mobile phones, pens and sharp objects were prohibited.
Devotees were overwhelmed when Baba, with his trademark afro-style hairdo and saffron-coloured robes, arrived in a wheelchair.
There were more than 10,000 devotees at the indoor stadium-like hall and some followers cried when he was pushed close to them while several rushed to hand him letters and wedding invitations for blessings.
He did not speak and when he came close to me, he looked into my eyes and I felt a sudden surge of energy rushing into my body and an electrifying feeling. I kneeled with my hands clasped in prayer and bowed.
I was later invited by his senior disciple to a private room to meditate for a few minutes.
This was the closest I have been with Baba and since that day, there has been some inexplicable connection drawing me towards him and I have made five visits to his abode.
My last visit was to attend his grand 85th birthday on Nov 23 last year which attracted over a million people, including the Indian president, prime minister, ministers, celebrities and top businessmen.
On that day, two helicopters dropped rose petals, blessed by Baba, from the sky on us. For decades, Baba was known for his supernatural powers, including an ability to conjure objects and vibhuti (holy ash) out of thin air, remember past lives and cure terminal diseases.
Many who arrive there come “expecting” but return “accepting” the true purpose of life and of the power of love and compassion.
During my visits, I did not witness any miracle but devotees in his presence returned experiencing marvels and a sense of relief, peace, fulfillment, joy and being cured.
One of the best gifts Baba has given my family was his teachings on human values through his balvikas (Sunday classes) for children, which were conducted for free by his devotees worldwide.
My three children grew up learning the values as an art of living and now they have grown up to be fine examples of responsible citizens who display unconditional love, care and selfless service to mankind.
For thousands of his followers, the death of their spiritual leader is the loss of hope they had in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment