Saturday, January 19, 2013

Tho Yuen restaurant , campbell street , Penang


I had a breakfast with my wife at Tho Yuen restaurant this morning. This restaurant have been in existnece for more than  50 years or more . Like the Goh Huat Seng restaurant, Tho Yuen was famous for their moon cakes in the earlier years but now, they are only maintaining their business.

For breakfast , they provide tim sum , noodles , Hor fun, fish head bee hoon, Chicken and many types of cakes. The restaurant is still packed on Saturdays and Sundays especially in the morning where the older folks will sit there to enjoy their tea and talk about the world affairs. This culture have been going on for years.

My wife ordered a fish head noodle, some tim sums and one plate of chicken. The taste is average except for the fish head noodles which taste reasonably good. It cost us RM35 for both of us.

In Penang, there are many better places serving more delicious tim sum or fried chickens and I wonder why there are still so many people going to this restaurant. I could not understand where is the attractions except this is an old brand name. If people come back here for memories , then I can understand but the crowd is a mixture of old and the young.

For me, I would prefer to eat at another place where it is cleaner and tastier.

After the breakfast, my wife went over to shop for our Chinese New Year goodies and that was the reason we choose the restaurant because we could do the shopping after the breakfast.

Things were quite quiet at the retail shops and I remember at this time of the year, the shops selling the new year goodies would be pretty busy and there would be many people in these shops but today, it was quite cosy for us to shop and the shop keepers were quite free to handle our needs or request.

I hope business could pick up in the next two or three weeks. Chinese New Year festival or CNY is only three weeks to go.  The year of the snake will slip in soon.

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment