Sunday, October 18, 2015

The big C is here again.

I was told that my SIL is in the emergency ward because of the big " C" and it shoke me to the core as I have faced the similar situation with my MIL and FIL before and it has been an ugly experience for me. The memories float back to me and I could also vividly remembered my BIL's death experience when he was at the end of his cancer treatment before he passes away.

My BIL passes away at 62 years old , three years ago and now my SIL is also almost the same age. It is really scary and I have been listening to Ajahn Brahm's lecture these few nights to study my mind and to learn the need to let go.

Last night, Ajahn Brahm's lecture was about living in the present. His teaching is about you holding two bags of goodies after shopping and one bag is named " Past" and the bag "future" , You have been carrying these two burdens now  and for a long time. To let go is to put down your past bag and your future bag and to live in the present. Why are you holding to your past and worry for your future and neglect the " present" moment ? Isn't that a silly joke and a stupid thing to do. Let go the past and stop worrying for the future and you have only is the present.

It is very easy to say but the ghost of the past will haunt us and the uncertain future will disturb and influence us and  divert us from the present if our mind is not firm and when we are not mindful and stay aware.  Being aware of our thoughts and be mindful of our body so that we can make ourself happy.  If we are mindful and aware of our emotions, we can arrest the emotions at its bud or take a different route to avoid any unhappy encounters or events.  If we are mindful of our body, we can be kind to it and to take the appropriate actions to take care of it.

Yeah, the thoughts are so difficult to avoid but not doing anything will only bring sufferings and if we do something like having kindness to yourself , we will be able to mitigate the extend of our unhappiness or sufferings.  Ultimately, everyone of us need to move on and while we are here, it is important to do whatever makes us happy.

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment