Sunday, November 5, 2017

The day , Penang hitted by severe rain and flood

It is just like the heaven opens up and let all the water fell on Penang state . It was raining the whole day through with different tandem of rain fall , some lighter some times heavier.  It keep raining dogs and cats and the water level on different part of the island rose gradually.  It was like the heaven crying non-stop and her tears fill up the small island of Penang.

It started on Saturday and in the middle of the night when my daughter May called out to me that her room is flooded. My house is sitting on a hill lock and if my house is flooded, the whole island will be under water.  I rushed to her room and find out that my maid have not shut the window properly and water was flowing into my daughter's room.  The floor was filled with water and it takes me a short time to clean it up.  The problem was with the defective window panes. I put a layer of plastic to prevent the rain water to come into the room and the problem was resolved.

On Sunday, I rode around to buy breakfast and saw the effect of the heavy rain on the surrounding environment , there was mud on every road and most home have to clean out the mud from the house. Hawkers and coffee shops have to close for the day as the wind and rain have caused havoc to their stalls and access road to their place.  Trees were fallen and the sight of flood was widespread and cars broke down by or in the middle of the road.  The traffic lights were not working and massive jams on the junctions and it is back to old days of Police manually managing the traffic.  What a mess .

It was like a war torn zone with people unable to cook because their house is in a mess with electricity interruptions .  I tried to order pizza but the wait is so long that I need to give it up.  The normal service of 10 to 15 minutes dragged to 45 minutes.  What a mess.

Now, the State have to spend money to clean up the place , repair the roads and improve drainage.  It will be a lot of work before everything goes back to normal.  Our Met Department forecast more rain in the coming weeks and this news horrifies me as this will bring more unpleasantness and messy derail to our normal routine.

So, Heaven have mercy on us when next time the rain comes again.

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment